Thursday, December 4, 2014

Turkey Meatballs


I love this blog to be able to chronicle all my recipes, but I am not good at this whole taking pictures of my food. I just don't understand how when people are in the middle of cooking, with hands all oniony and covered in raw meat they manage to pick up the phone or camera and take step by step pictures of what they are doing. Maybe it is just because I am always pressed for time when cooking, mostly during nap time or the one episode of whatever TV show my son is watching, but I can barely manage to take one picture of the finished product. 

With that being said, here is my best attempt at what I was able to capture....all with my phone. The nice camera was coming no where near my turkey covered hands.








Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce

Tomato Sauce Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 small (8oz) can tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15oz) can diced or crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

Meatballs Ingredients

1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 lb ground turkey thigh

Directions

Heat olive oil over medium heat in large (better for it to be wide, not deep) pot. Add onion and garlic, stirring to make sure they don't burn, but turn translucent in color, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to melt the paste slightly. Add the remainder of the ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil and lower to a simmer and cover while you prepare the meatballs.

Mix together all meatball ingredients and form into golf ball size meatballs. Drop the raw meatball into the sauce. Simmer, covered for at least 1 hour, but longer helps develop more flavor (I usually cook them about 2-3 hours)

Serve with or without spaghetti. These also freeze great.




No comments:

Post a Comment